Sidikat’s daughter, Bisi Aisha, a soldier, confirmed her mother’s death on social media, writing, “May your soul Rest In Peace mummy.”.
The actress had been battling ill health and had taken a break from acting. She was a septuagenarian at the time of her passing.
Here are a few key details about the late septuagenarian to remember:
1. Late Nigerian movie star Iyabo Oko was born on November 15, 1960, in Iwo, Osun State. She began her acting career in 1973 and gained popularity for her role in the movie “Oko.”
2. Oko ran away from home twice during her secondary school days to join a theatre group but was eventually taken away by her father.
3. Her father passed away after she became famous, while her mother witnessed her success as an actress.
4. Despite working as an actress, Oko completed her secondary school education.
5. In 2015, she took a break from the movie industry due to a stroke but was later confirmed to be alive after her daughter initially announced her death in 2022.
6. Oko received the Special Recognition Award at the City People Entertainment Awards in 2016 for her contributions to the Yoruba Movie Industry.
7. Besides acting, Oko was a filmmaker who produced movies such as “Olufunke,” “Illu Ominira,” “Okegogo,” and “Ololufe.”
8. Iyabo Oko was married to actor Tajudeen Akanmu, known as Koledowo, and had two children and grandchildren.
9. She lost her son, Tajudeen Akanmu, who was popularly known as Koledowo in 2008 after he suffered from an illness that resulted in stooling and vomiting.
10. She is survived by a daughter, Oduola Olamide.